Implementation Plan for the System of Science and Technology Commissioner for Enterprises in Hainan Province
The Plan is formulated to implement relevant requirements under the Three-Year Action Plan for Winning the Science and Technology Innovation Battle by Extraordinary Means in Hainan Province (2021-2023); build a platform for the interaction of high-tech enterprises and scientific and technical personnel; develop a system of “science and technology commissioner” for high-tech enterprise and industrial enterprises above the designated size; encourage and guide scientific and technical personnel to contribute to the scientific and technological innovation and industrial development of Hainan; promote the transfer of scientific and technological elements from higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools and research institutes to enterprises; promote industrial transformation and upgrading; and create new growth drivers for industrial innovative development.
I. General Requirements
A group of scientific researchers with high enthusiasm, strong creativity, rich innovation resources, and deep understanding of the current development situation and trends of industry technologies, shall be selected and dispatched to enterprises as science and technology commissioners in strict accordance with the Three-Year Action Plan for Winning the Science and Technology Innovation Battle by Extraordinary Means in Hainan Province (2021-2023), the decisions and arrangements of the CPC Hainan Provincial Committee andthe People's Government of Hainan Province, in the principles of “orientating to enterprise demand-oriented, linking talents and technologies, and promoting government-industry-university collaboration”, and relying on higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools and research institutes with stronger scientific research strength. These enterprises shall bridge the cooperation between higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools and research institutes with superior innovation resources and high-tech enterprises and industrial enterprises above the designated size; realize the transfer of scientific and technological elements from higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools and scientific research institutions to enterprises, and the rapid transformation of high intellectual achievements to enterprise output; further strengthen the close integration of industry-university-research-application and the close integration of scientific and technological achievements with the market of enterprises; promote the transformation of more scientific and technological achievements into real productivity; effectively solve various technical problems of enterprises; realize the transformation from simple teaching and scientific researchers to industry-university-research experts integrating scientific research, achievement transformation and technical guidance; actively promote the transformation of technologies to production capacity, results to products, and theories to reality; enhance the ability of enterprises to transform scientific and technological resources and innovation resources; form a technological innovation system dominated by enterprises, oriented to the market, and deeply integrated with industrials, universities and research institutes; give full play to the important role of scientific researchers in building an in-depth bridge between higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools, research institutes and enterprises for industry-university-research collaborations; further accelerate the transformation and application of scientific and technological achievements; and provide strong scientific and technological support to promote the high-quality economic development of Hainan Province.
II. Overall Objectives
With their actions as carriers, some science and technology commissioners were sent to about 30 high-tech enterprises and industrial enterprises above the designated size throughout Hainan every year to help the enterprises solve technical problems in the R&D and production processes of new products, assist them in building R&D and innovation platforms and developing core products, and vigorously enhance their technological innovation capabilities and market competitiveness. After three years of efforts, they have served a total of about 100 high-tech enterprises and industrial enterprises above the designated size, including 5 leading enterprises, 10 gazelle enterprises, 15 seed enterprises and 30 industrial enterprises above the designated size. They further strengthened the independent innovation capability of the leading enterprises, promoted a number of science and technology enterprises to establish a sound technological innovation system integrated with industries, universities, research institutes and clients, strengthened the introduction of scientific and technological achievements of enterprises, promoted the training of high-level scientific and technological talent teams, promoted the creation of technological innovation platforms for enterprises, and played an important role in supporting the high-quality economic development of HainanProvince.
III. Main Tasks of Enterprise Science and Technology Commissioners
(1) Identify the technological needs of enterprises and assist in the formulation of strategies for their technological development. According to the trend of technology and industry development, commissioners shall, on the basis of fully understanding the technical needs of enterprises, collect information on new processes, technologies and products as well as domestic and international market dynamics, grasp the development trend and resource layout of relevant technical fields, analyze and study the key technologies and common technical problems that need to be overcome, and assist enterprises in formulating strategies for technical development.
(2) Assist enterprises to carry out industry-university-research cooperation and establish a long-term cooperation mechanism. Commissioners shall give full play to their role as a bridge and link to find superior scientific and technological resources at home and abroad according to the technical needs and technological development strategies of enterprises, and strive to facilitate the effective connection and combination of enterprises and higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools and research institutes, and establish a long-term mechanism of industry-university-research cooperation.
(3) Participate in the R&D of enterprises, solve technical problems in the production and R&D of new products of enterprises, and improve the competitiveness of their products. Commissioners shall make full use of the advantages in scientific research, education and talents of the dispatching units, actively participate in the technical R&D work of enterprises, thoroughly analyze the technical needs of enterprises, study major common technical problems in the industries, integrate the superior resources of industries and science and technology, set up innovation alliances of industries, universities and research institutes, and carry out joint research.
(4) Facilitate enterprises to build innovation platforms with higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools and research institutes to enhance their ability in independent innovation. Commissioners shall help enterprises to build internal corporate R&D institutions, enabling enterprises to cooperate with higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools, research institutes to build technology innovation centers, detection service centers and other R&D platforms and industrialization bases to continuously improve the level of technology R&D of enterprises and the technological innovation capabilities of higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools and research institutes.
(5) Optimize the R&D teams of enterprises and jointly cultivate talents. Commissioners shall promote higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools, research institutes and enterprises to build joint R&D platforms and talent training bases, train and introduce senior technical and management talents for enterprises, and train outstanding young and middle-aged teachers and scientific and technical personnel with rich working experience on the production line for higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools and research institutes.
(6) Improve technological innovation systems and give full play of the typical demonstration effect. Commissioners shall promote enterprises to improve knowledge and technology management systems with IP rights as the core and cultivate enterprises into high-tech enterprises leading industrial technology innovation. They shall also give full play of the typical demonstration effect of the enterprises where they are assigned, accelerate the level of integration of industries, universities and research institutions, and drive a large number of science and technology SMEs to enhance their independent innovation capabilities and product competitiveness through cooperation with industries, universities and research institutions, and accelerate the establishment of a technological innovation system dominated by enterprises, oriented to the market, and integrated with industrials, universities and research institutes.
IV. Qualification Requirements on Enterprise Science and Technology Commissioners
Applicants shall meet the following requirements:
(1) They shall be teachers, scientists or technicians with technical expertise in higher education institutions, secondary vocational schools or research institutes;
(2) They shall have solid know-hows and expertise in related industries, high ability in R&D, organization and coordination, and strong sense of responsibility;
(3) They shall be familiar with the R&D of enterprises and ambitious for the integration of industries, universities and research institutes, have a keen interest in serving science and technology enterprises, and can help science and technology enterprises solve scientific and technological problems.
V. Qualification Requirements for Enterprises Applying for the Assignment of Commissioners
Enterprises applying for the assignment of commissioners shall meet the following requirements:
(1) They shall have been admitted into the Incubator under the “Elite Action of High-tech Enterprises in Hainan Province” or accredited as industrial enterprises above the designated size with strong capacity in innovation;
(2) They shall have a strong sense of independent innovation, can arrange suitable positions for enterprise science and technology commissioners, clarify job responsibilities, and provide corresponding working and living conditions;
(3) They shall have a good foundation of scientific research and can provide supporting scientific research conditions for enterprise science and technology commissioners.
VI. Procedures for the Dispatch and Assignment of Science and Technology Commissioners
1. Application by enterprises for the dispatch and assignment of commissioners. Eligible enterprises shall fill in the Form of Basic Information and Technical Needs of theProposed Enterprises as required and submit an application to the competent science and technology authorities at municipal and county levels.
2. Preliminary review. The science and technology authorities at municipal and county levels shall conduct a preliminary review on the application of enterprises, issue opinions for the preliminary review for eligible enterprises and report them to the provincial science and technology authorities.
3. Matching and dispatch. The provincial science and technology authorities shall send the technical needs of theproposed enterprises recommended by the science and technology authorities at municipal and county levels to relevant higher education institutions, research institutes and other public institutions, social institutions for preliminary matchmaking. Then, these institutions shall organize scientific researchers according to the technical needs of enterprises to apply voluntarily, and fill in the form of Basic Information of Scientific Researchers to be Dispatched. When the units of applicants have reviewed and approved the application, the form shall be submitted to the provincial science and technology authorities.
4. Signing of Letter of Intent for Dispatching and Assignment. The provincial science and technology authorities shall feedback the information of scientific researchers proposed to be dispatched to the science and technology authorities at municipal and county levels. Then, the latter shallhold a meeting between the preliminary candidates of science and technology commissioners and the heads of theproposed enterprises. When the two parties have reached a consensus on the cooperation intentions and contents, the enterprise science and technology commissioners shall sign the Agreement of Science and Technology Commissioners for Enterprises in Hainan Province with the proposed enterprises and dispatching units to clarify the responsibilities, rights and obligations of each party. Then, the cooperation shall be reported to the science and technology authorities at municipal and county levels where the relevant enterprises operate.
5. Determination of the dispatching and assignment of enterprise science and technology commissioners. After review, science and technology authorities at municipal and county levels shall issue the list of enterprise science and technology commissioners, clarify the proposed enterprises, and submit the lists of enterprise science and technology commissioners and the proposed enterprises and other relevant materials to the provincial science and technology authorities and the Department of Human Resources and Social Security for filing purpose.
VII. Management Requirements
1. During the dispatching and assignment period, enterprise science and technology commissioners shall be managed according to the following mechanism: higher education institution, secondary vocational school or research institute where commissioners work and the enterprises assigned with commissioners shall jointly manage the commissioners and undertake their responsibilities independently.
2. Enterprise science and technology commissioners are normally dispatched to enterprises in a part-time manner. They shall serve enterprises for at least 100 days in total but up to 2 years in general. After the term expires, they can continue to apply for assignment according to the reality of relevant enterprises.
3. During the dispatching and assignment period, all rights of enterprise science and technology commissioners to participate in title evaluation, project declaration, job competition, training, assessment and reward, and all benefits such as salary and social insurance shall not be affected. They can have relatively flexible and elastic working hours by consensus with the unit to which their organizational affiliation belongs. The commissioners shall comply with relevant management systems of enterprises as required.
4. Unless otherwise stipulated by applicable national laws and regulation, enterprise science and technology commissioners can achieve significant economic benefits and enjoy the same rights to compensation, bonuses, and equity incentives as employees of relevant enterprises during the dispatching and assignment period. The distribution of interests in the transformation of scientific research outcomes shall be implemented in accordance with applicable policies.
5. Enterprises assigned with commissioners shall pay the premium of work-related injury insurance for enterprise science and technology commissioners. If the commissioners are injured at work while working outside the units to which their organizational affiliation belongs, they are entitled to benefits for work-related injury insurance according to applicable laws and regulations. Relevant units or enterprises shall be responsible for paying such a premium. The enterprises shall also create necessary living and working conditions for the commissioners, conscientiously fulfill their commitments under the agreement, take the commissioners as the innovation resources of enterprises, make full use of their scientific research achievements and innovation capabilities, enhance the competitiveness of enterprises, and promote the transformation and upgrading of enterprises.
6. Dispatching units, commissioners dispatched and enterprises assigned with commissioners shall sign a tripartite agreement and identify cooperation agreements to agree on the work contents, term, compensation, rewards and other rights and obligations of commissioners, the transfer of outcomes, and the distribution of development revenue and other rights and interests. Corresponding agreements shall be signed to clarify issues such as technology confidentiality and ownership of IP rights interests involved in the cooperation process.
7. Please refer to the Guiding Opinions of the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security on Supporting and Encouraging Scientific Researchers of Public Institutions in Innovation and Entrepreneurship (Ren She Bu Fa  No. 137) for relevant policies.
8. During the assignment period, if any enterprise assigned with commissioners cannot carry out relevant technological innovation activities due to significant changes in operations, the science and technology commissioners assigned to the enterprise can propose to suspend the assignment. If any enterprise science and technology commissioner cannot continue to carry out innovation activities in an enterprise due to physical reasons, the needs of the unit to which the organizational affiliation belongs or other reasons, the enterprise can propose to suspend the assignment.
1. Provincial science and technology authorities shall be responsible for coordinating and managing the work of science and technology commissioners, developing the evaluation indicator systems and management systems for enterprise science and technology commissioners, formulating relevant supporting policies and measures for the systems, and providing supports to eligible outstanding cooperation projects.
2. Science and technology authorities at municipal and county levels shall take the initiative to care about the work of science and technology commissioners; urge the enterprises assigned withcommissioners to provide sufficient guarantee; carry out an annual evaluation on enterprise science and technology commissioners dispatched to local enterprises; determine the annual evaluation results for the work of science and technology commissioners according to the evaluation materials submitted by enterprises assigned with commissioners and relevant dispatching and assignment agreements, and submit the results to the provincial science and technology authorities for filing.
3. Dispatching units shall develop corresponding incentive measures to actively create conditions for enterprise science and technology commissioners to complete tasks assigned; and use their talents, achievements, platforms and other advantageous resources to support the innovation and development of the enterprises through the cooperation between enterprise science and technology commissioners and enterprises assigned with such commissioners.
4. Enterprises assigned with commissioners shall provide necessary guarantees for scientific researches for science and technology commissioners and regard such commissioners as the innovation resources of enterprises to accelerate the improvement of enterprise competitiveness; focus on the solutions to technical problems of enterprises to help enterprises build an R&D and innovation platform, develop core products, and lead enterprises to enhance the effectiveness of improvement of technological innovation capacities and market competitiveness; and evaluate enterprise science and technology commissioners, prepare materials for the evaluation, and submit the materials to science and technology authorities at municipal and county levels.
IX. Supporting Measures
1. Enterprise science and technology commissioners and industry-university-research cooperative science and technology projects of enterprises assigned with commissioners can be selected and listed in the key R&D programs of Hainan Province and funded. Enterprises assigned with commissioners and science and technology commissioners shall be encouraged to focus on major technological innovation needs of high-tech industries in Hainan Province, refine major science and technology programs and be given priority support if they meet relevant requirements. Enterprises assigned with commissioners can be given priority for technological innovation vouchers of Hainan Province (if needed) if they meet applicable requirements.
2. Enterprises assigned with commissioners are supported to arrange and construct provincial technological innovation centers, provincial joint key laboratories, academician innovation platforms and other high-level innovation platforms. Enterprises assigned with commissioners shall be encouraged to apply for national innovation platforms to promote the gathering of all kinds of scientific and technological innovation factors and resources to the enterprises, and enhance their ability in independent innovation.
3. Evaluations on the work of enterprise science and technology commissioners shall be strengthened. Commissioners with excellent evaluation results shall be awarded with the honorary title of Excellent Enterprise Science and Technology Commissioner and recommended to relevant talent programs in Hainan Province.
4. Dispatching units shall be encouraged to develop policies and measures to support the innovation of enterprise science and technology commissioners, formulate corresponding talent evaluation systems, and mobilize the motivation of scientific researchers to participate in corporate innovation.
5. Enterprises assigned with commissioners shall be encouraged to take effective measures to provide necessary life support and support in technological innovation and create a good environment for collaborative innovation for enterprise science and technology commissioners.