Interpretation of Policies for the Foreign Experts Program in Hainan Province
The Foreign Experts Program in Hainan Province refers to projects established in accordance with the province's construction needs, which provide support for foreign experts to carry out activities such as scientific research, technical consulting, product development, academic exchange, achievement transformation (commercialisation), and management services in Hainan. Foreign experts can carry out project research with the support of the project group.
Project duration is divided into one or two years. To ensure the effectiveness of project execution, experts are encouraged to come to Hainan for offline communication and cooperation. Hainan supports various methods of work such as remote video and online office to complete various tasks.
Foreign experts who participate in Hainan Province's foreign experts’ program can receive funding support for expenses such as transportation, salary, consulting fees (lecture fees), subsidies, living expenses, and other expenses.
(1) Transportation expenses for experts: Foreign experts are reimbursed for their round-trip transportation expenses incurred while working in Hainan, as well as expenses incurred while traveling in China for work purposes. Reimbursements are based on actual expenses and must be supported by compliant receipts.
(2) Expert salary: Refers to the remuneration agreed upon by the project group and the foreign expert through the signing of a labour contract or work agreement. If the expert is working in China for more than 90 days at a time, they must sign a labour contract or work agreement.
(3) Expert consulting fees (lecture fees): For foreign experts who have not established a labour relationship with the project group, subsidies are provided for their services such as consultation, lectures, teaching, and technical services, based on a standard of no more than 3,000 yuan per session.
(4) Expert subsidies: Foreign experts who work for short-term periods (within 90 consecutive days in Hainan) at the project group without signing a labour contract or work agreement are provided with living subsidies during their stay in Hainan. Expert subsidies are granted based on the number of days the foreign expert works on the project in Hainan Province, with a standard of no more than 1,000 yuan per day.
(5) Expert living expenses: The rental (accommodation) expenses incurred by foreign experts during their work in Hainan are reimbursed based on actual expenses and must be supported by compliant receipts.
(6) Other expenses: Refers to technical material expenses, outstanding contribution award fees, and other expenses incurred by experts during their work in Hainan. The project unit will apply for the funds and the expenses will be disbursed within the approved limit.
Foreign experts can only choose one type of funding support from expert salary, consulting fee (lecture fee), and expert allowance, and the disbursement should comply with relevant national tax regulations. If the expert salary already includes expert transportation expenses, expert living expenses, or other related expenses, they cannot be duplicated. During their work in Hainan, foreign experts must strictly abide by Chinese laws and regulations and implement relevant regulations on work style, academic integrity, and scientific research ethics.